Location: Kensington – London
Position Type: Permanent
Salary: £10.55 per hour
To provide personal and domestic assistance to older people in their own homes to help them maintain their independence and enjoy an acceptable quality of life. This may include all aspects of personal care as well as carrying out light housework (dusting, tidying, vacuuming, laundry, ironing and the provision of light meals); Provide a “respite” service for carers by assuming the caring role for an agreed period of time in order to allow the Carer to take a break.
The post is offered on a zero hours contract working from 8.00 am – 8.00 pm on a rota basis based on your availability and the needs of the
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Personal Care Service
- To assist clients to get in and out of the bath or shower safely and in comfort, and to wash parts of the body which they cannot reach.
- To wash client’s hair.
- To help male clients with shaving.
- To assist with dressing and undressing, when and where required.
- To ensure that the washing area is left clean and tidy.
- To be aware of shortages (shampoo, towels etc), and inform the service user, NOK and/or office.
- To cut toe and/or finger nails for the client where it is part of the care plan.
At Home Care
- To carry out such tasks as the individual client’s care plan requires, including the following:
- Where necessary, helping the client to get in and out of bed.
- Assistance with washing (including help with compression stockings), dressing and toileting, as required.
- Prompting with prescribed medication.
- Preparation of light meals and hot drinks as required.
- Washing up.
- Laundry, either in the client’s own home or in a launderette.
- Light housework, including vacuuming, dusting and tidying, putting away clean laundry etc.
- Shopping and minor errands, including collecting prescriptions where necessary.
- To carry out all necessary personal care, as agreed in the care plan in the absence of the spouse, partner or other usual carer.
- To provide companionship to the person being cared for which is respectful of their needs and wishes, and appropriate to their mental and physical condition.
- To deal with any emergencies which may arise in the absence of the usual carer, and to notify them as soon as is practicable.
- To carry out any procedures which the care plan may require, and which are not detailed elsewhere in this job description, and which the regular carer would usually carry out. This may include Personal Care, assisting with medication etc.
- To assist the client with eating and drinking where necessary.
- To work within the boundaries of the service.
- To inform the Care Coordinator or emergency on call of any significant changes in the service user
- To attend team meetings and participate in training when requested.
- To provide cover for other Care Workers when required.
- To work in accordance with good practice at all times.
- To produce documentation and write service reports as required.
- To carry out other tasks from time to time that may be reasonably required.
- To work within the provisions of organisational policies and procedure.
- To contribute to service improvement and quality assurance of service.
- To abide by the Company employee handbook.
Preferred but not Essential
- NVQ/QCF Heath and Social care level 2
- Care certificate
- Experience of working in a care setting
- Paid Annual leave
- Travel expenses
- Training (ongoing)
- Sick Pay (after probation period)